Monday, July 13, 2009

Neige Rouge: Upcoming comic. Just need an illustrator.

Neige Rouge

"I have to look up just to see hell" - Marilyn Manson

Prologue

I stand naked in the falling snow. The snowflakes fall on my skin and melt. Those that fall above my heart take the longest time to melt. I pretend I’m somewhere else. Somewhere warm. It doesn’t work. The wind makes whips of my hair, lashing at my face. This building is tall. I’m not scared of falling. Someone always catches me. But not this time. There is no one to save me. The city is frozen solid. Nothing moves except the snow in the wind and even that is controlled like the flakes in a snow globe. This is the last shred of free will I have. And I will use it to paint the city.

Frank:

It is the year 2043 and free will is only for the fortunate. I am in this clinic every day…except Sunday. They won’t let you work on Sunday. It’s as though we’re on a reverse merry-go-round, the world is spinning faster than usual but we aren’t going anywhere. Not on a Sunday. On Sunday I look at all there is done and I weep for this world.
“Mr. Carver in to see you Dr. Warren.”
“Thank you Hazel. Please send him in.” I weep so… The man enters my office. He’s been seeing me for years. He never seems to change, only the coldness in his eyes seems to thicken. I’m sure it will blind him soon… and there will be nothing I can do.
“Hello Frank, how’s the game?”
“Afternoon Prime minister, the game treats me well.”
“Now Frank, just because I’ve become Prime minister doesn’t mean I insist on formality. I’ve been coming here since I was fresh out of The State, you know my name.”
“Now so does the rest of the country Marshal. And I suspect a great deal of the world’s powers.”
“And so they should. A man is only as good as the name put to him.”
“Open your eyes…wider…I’m afraid your myopia is getting worse. I’ll have to prescribe a stronger lens. Though at your age Marshal you really ought to start worrying about cataracts.” There is nothing to suggest he is even at risk of cataracts.
“I’m too young for that Frank. Ha!”
“You’re pushing 70, you smoke and drink excessively. I’m only trying to help.”
“Well, when I’ve gone blind I’ll give you a call. When can I pick up the new glasses?”
“In a week.”
“I’m sitting with The Tribunal on Tuesday, see if you can have them for me before then. We’re trying out this new policy with those damned Caspers.” He has the audacity to stick a large note in my top pocket. I am sick of this life.
“I’ll do my best Marshal.”
“Thanks Frank, see you Monday.”
“Monday.” He leaves and I breathe in deeply.
“Next patient Dr. Warren.”
“Thank you Hazel.”

2 comments:

  1. I love that name, Hazel. Great final word, too. I don't think we have to wait till 2043 for free will to be for the fortunate. It has always been that way.

    But I like the doctor's small talk - "Though at your age Marshal you really ought to start worrying about cataracts.” There is nothing to suggest he is even at risk of cataracts. - brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good. I mean REAL good. I love the parallel between the Prime Minister losing his sight both physically and metaphorically. I also love how the therapist needs a therapist. I take some odd pleasure from that.

    ReplyDelete